Name:
Location: Kirkkonummi, Finland

Friday, November 11, 2005

Crazy Cloud

I have discovered who must have been the coolest Zen master in history:
Ikkyū Sōjun (1394-1481)
Just see what kind of stuff he wrote:

"Zen's finished stick your brain in a peach branch guzzle sake
sing until you have no throat then words come by themselves"

"don't hesitate get laid that's wisdom
sitting around chanting what crap"

but also:

"nature's a killer I won't sing to it
I hold my breath and listen to the dead singing under the grass"

"so many words about it
the only language is you don't open your lips"

(translations/versions by Stephen Berg)

...my kind of monk! =D

Check him out for yourselves, for example in "Crow With No Mouth" compiled by (surprise surprise) Stephen Berg. Or if you know japanese well enough, I guess it would be even more enlightening to read the originals. I'm not yet that far :(.
(Oh yeah, Crazy Cloud was a name Ikkyū was sometimes known by (he also used it himself sometimes).)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home